Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kubuntu 10.04 LTS

I've used Linux some years ago. In the days of Red Hat 6.4 and then 7.1. My career in .NET development and probably some frustrations with compatibility issues with my hardware at that time, made me switch back to Windows and never look back. I've since used and promoted Windows and had perceived all Linux compilations to be at the same level as Red Hat 6.4.

I did downloaded Fedora 11 in 2008 or so due to frustrations over Windows Vista but somehow never installed it. When Windows 7 came along, I thought Windows days are here to stay. But Janaka at office kept talking about Ubuntu once in a while and that made me want to give it a shot.

I received my CD of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS from good people at Canonical couple of days ago. I installed it on a VM on the same day and was impressed with the user experience. Today, I installed it on my father's laptop and boy! I'm loving it.

So, those of you who are using pirated copies of windows making the excuse that Linux is not in par... Take another look at Kubuntu 10.04. It's way better looking and faster than Windows 7 and is guilt free!

The DigiKam application is a feature rich image editing tool at par with Nikon's Capture NX. Open Office has come a long way to be a good office suite and Google Chrome lives by the name of Chromium in the Linux world. I haven't looked at any of the IDEs yet, but I'm sure there are some that could compete with Microsoft's Visual Studio.

So, this is me, a pro-microsoftee asking you to try out Kubuntu. Believe me, it's really nice.

3 comments:

  1. eclipse is my IDE on Ubuntu (and Windows)and loving it.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EclipseIDE
    My base is Matlab where I usually get lost.
    http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/
    Glad you found Ubuntu (Linux) appealing. If I did not have the MSDN license, I don't think I will pay for windows.
    Meanwhile I am testing Chromium OS for an upcoming project these days. Looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll still have to keep Windows for work; but for personal use I sure will switch to Linux. Even my parents, who are not that technically savvy, didn't find it much difficult to adopt to it. Chromium, Skype and VLC Media Player fulfills their expectations from a computer.

    In my father's Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz laptop, Kubuntu 10.04 complete start-up just takes 28 seconds flat! Even with Skype and Empathy widgets loading on startup.

    I'm pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's well done article. Let me mention about home insurance cost provided by home insurance providers. Save on online free quotes on homeowners insurance.

    ReplyDelete