Sunday, June 06, 2010

Got copped for speeding

Gone are the good days when they didn't catch you for speeding. Now they do.

I Was driving to Colombo from Kandy around 11.30PM and was not particularly speeding, but was maintaining a speed of around 80 km/h and taking it cool. Cops stopped me just past Yakkala. Showed me the meter and it read 84.. must be true.

Cop said that the spot fine system is not there anymore and the offenders would be put in to courts; I didn't believe him but it may be true. The friend who was with me spoke with the cop and he asked for a bribe. Gave him 500 and he gave me the license back; and we were back on the road within 10 minutes - at the same speed.

It saved me a lot of trouble to just bribe the asshole. But had there been a better system - like in the US - where paying the fine is not such a painful process that money could have gone to the government and hopefully into building roads. But instead, we bribe and cops buy arrack with that.

Fuck the whole system..

2 comments:

  1. HA! Next time record the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you shouldnt have bribed them....but no other easy way too :(

    ReplyDelete