Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My love of Tamil music

Couple of days back, I made a comment on Parthi's blog about A R Rahman's music. But he seems to have thought I was being extravagant. But the truth is, I listen to Tamil songs more than I listen to Sinhalese or English. So I gave him a glimpse of my Tamil Music collection. And today thought of writing how it all started.

I never was a music lover. I had several hundreds of MP3s in my machine but never listened to them regularly. During late 1999 or early 2000, my good friend Shamik (yeah Muslim) brought his hard disk to be backed up to mine. In there was a huge collection of Tamil MP3s. I played couple of them randomly and was touched deep in my heart by the fascinating music. Of cause I didn't understand any words. It was just music for me. I decided to keep the MP3s and listened to them much often.

After some time I realized that since I do not understand the words, I could concentrate on anything else while listening to them (Which I couldn't while listening to Sinhala or English) and more over, that music always had a soothing effect on me. It made me calm and happy. So I became an Tamil Music lover - they were in my car, in my phone, at home and at office.


BTW, I like Tamil movies too

9 comments:

  1. Mahasen,

    I think you might have misunderstood Parthi. Just read what he said, and it doesn't look like he thought you were exaggerating.

    In India its very common for people to be fans of musicians who sing in different languages. Actually a lot of actors and musicians there are multilingual. Aishwarya Rai acted in Tamil, Hindi and Bengali films.

    Actually I just found out she speaks a language called Tulu...pretty fascinating...never heard of it! Isn't India an amazing place? They also say she speaks Hindi, English, Urdu,Marathi, Kannada and Tamil.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aishwarya_Rai

    Its quite funny, I have heard Tamils say that Sinhalese movies (at least the older ones) are better in quality and standard than the bollywood Tamil movies. I think looking at a recent review by you of a sinhalese movie the standard seems to have gone down quite a bit!:) I don't know anything about Sinhalese movies myself, and just a little bit more about Tamil movies. You probably know more about both than me!

    I actually read a few articles by D.B.S. Jeyaraj of all people about Sinhalese movies. For example:
    Seventieth birthday tribute for Gamini Fonseka
    March 15th, 2006
    http://transcurrents.com/tamiliana/archives/109

    I can see unlike me you and Parthi are huge fans!! he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just absolutely hate Tamil music. Probably coz I was forced to listen to this crap by Tamil girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so that I don't come across as being racist (lol) I absolutely hate Sinhala music too.

    I think I hate everything about Sinhala and Tamil popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Shamik (yeah Muslim)"

    Why do you feel the need to mention that he his a muslim?

    Just because you listen to Tamil music doesn't take away from the fact that you are a racist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have our prejudices. I know I do. By getting to know what other people really think, I think they get less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that what makes us human? I love being me :D
    Don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it is. :) We have to take the good and the bad and be open to other people's views. I can live with it as long as people aren't malicious, cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as someone is open to other's views and willing to learn, and not malicious and cruel. Thats what I mean.

    Thought I better clarify myself in case I sounded glib.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am sorry that i didnt read this post when it was actually posted but today i accidently came to this page...i was actually surprised to hear a sinhala person appreciating tamil music...bcoz i never heard any sinhala perosn saying that..sinhala people listen to hindi music but as far as I know listen to way less tamil songs...im really happy you like them!..adding onto this....all ym friends just simply love sinhala music..especially bathiya santhush..iraj ranindu and all the clan...they simply go nuts with their songs..i enjoy them greatly!

    p.s plz dont abandon your blog

    ReplyDelete