Monday, October 23, 2006

Work life in US

One thing I really like about my client office is that all of them leave office by 5 P. M. Very rarely some stay till 5.30. If anybody stays later than 5 P. M., it’s considered as staying late! Work starts at 8 A. M.
One clearly evident advantage of it is that the productivity level is really high of every employee compared to our Sri Lankan offices. I experienced myself that I accomplish much more within the 8hours than what I did within 10~12 hours in Sri Lanka. And what’s more, I have time for myself after work. So work isn’t the only life I have here as it was in Sri Lanka.
I believe that Sri Lankan software firms should also realize this fact and encourage their employees to leave office by 5 or 6 P.M. More often than not, our employers in Sri Lanka believe, staying late is working hard and it’s productive and them implicitly expects us to stay late at office. But they don’t realize that it degrades the quality of their products as well as the quality of our lives.

4 comments:

  1. I can’t believe………………
    Then how are the higher people show them self off..??
    Do they use rigorous cost cutting methods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't stay late - they too work during the office hours effectively. Competency is measured by quality of work. Not by number of hours of work like in Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like working in any other country ( At least to the ones I have been ) is more productive than working in SL. Yes we work long in the same time here in SL, we mix up our personal work and office work., May be thats one reason., Climate would be another and ofcuse in our natural habitat we always try t go out of work even for few min. But that makes a huge diference.. This is a good thing to think more about..
    Other problem would be our country infra structure, no matter whether we are drving or using public transport., we are half dead and frustrated when we reach the office in the morning..

    ReplyDelete