Monday, January 15, 2007

What makes us happy?

My brother, on last Saturday, flew to Qatar to work for the Qatar commercial bank. He plans to settle down there with his family. I don’t quite understand the rational behind his decision. He was quite well established here and had every thing he needed to lead a decent life here. He had a house, car, spare money and a beloved family, yet he wanted more. And for that he took the risk of never seeing some of the immediate relatives ever again.

Would I have done that? I think not, but I’m not married with kids like he is. Even then, I’m more likely to be happy with a place to stay, a comfortable ride and some money to spare. And wouldn’t have sacrificed the company of my loved ones in order to earn some extra.

I’m not rich at all. In fact I could really make use of some more money. Yet I’m not struggling for it. That alone is enough for me. So what makes us strive to earn more and more than enjoying from what we already have? I could understand the need if I couldn’t afford a shelter, a decent car and little more money to spare. But if I have that much, I would kick out the shoes and rejoice that.

4 comments:

  1. But if I have that much ?
    How much ?
    I am agree with you, but
    can you measure a person’s desire ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true... We can never measure some one else's desire neither of ours, we hardly can imagine or understand. Limit of desire no less a myth than horizon unless a doctrine is adopted in to the life…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Human beings by nature always want stuff - we are very acquisitive (as well as inquisitive :p) creatures. From the little child who wants a shiny new toy or a colourful sweet to the so-called adults who always run after the next pay-raise, next shiny new toy, the next-raise to buy all this stuff and so on. It's the very rare few who say "I am happy with what I have and this is enough for me" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahasen, What people need is different from one to another..May be they dont like the env . here wthough they had everything.. May be childrens schooling, traveling in highways so on..
    Only problem is poor parents.. They do so much for their children and when they come to a stage which they can look at them and be happy.. Children just leave them.. Thats really painful for parents.. I know that though they wont show it..

    ReplyDelete