Monday, October 23, 2006

Work life in US

One thing I really like about my client office is that all of them leave office by 5 P. M. Very rarely some stay till 5.30. If anybody stays later than 5 P. M., it’s considered as staying late! Work starts at 8 A. M.
One clearly evident advantage of it is that the productivity level is really high of every employee compared to our Sri Lankan offices. I experienced myself that I accomplish much more within the 8hours than what I did within 10~12 hours in Sri Lanka. And what’s more, I have time for myself after work. So work isn’t the only life I have here as it was in Sri Lanka.
I believe that Sri Lankan software firms should also realize this fact and encourage their employees to leave office by 5 or 6 P.M. More often than not, our employers in Sri Lanka believe, staying late is working hard and it’s productive and them implicitly expects us to stay late at office. But they don’t realize that it degrades the quality of their products as well as the quality of our lives.