Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What gear you use - and what gear you want?

I have some money put aside for camera gear; and, in the recent times, I've been trying to decide want I need.

What I want is a D700 and a 105mm macro preferably with 24-70mm F/2.8 and a couple of SB-900s. But to think of, I'm doing fine with the gear I already have and I do not need any of those, unless I do real professional photography - which I don't.


B'days..

I shot the above picture using the 18-200 VR on my D80; and I think it's a pretty decent macro regardless. So is the one below:





Family


And for portraits; the 50mm f/1.8 has been producing decent enough shots.

Photo Shoot

Eyes


And even the 18-200mm is not that bad:




Empty

Affection


Landscapes? 18-200mm again is enough.





Ambewela Farm

Hope


I have a SB-600, which is enough to be creative with light and to light up things...





Fruits!

Bread


Of cause 70-300mm VR is hardly a tele, but again; for my occasional wildlife photography and outdoor portraits, it's enough.





Near Thalangama Lake

Central Park

Near Thalangama Lake



So; what would I buy? I think nothing. May be another SB-600 if it really gets itching. But most probably nothing.

If I didn't had any of these; I would have probably bought a D700 or a D3s with 24-70mm f/2.8 and probably a 105mm macro.. I doubt if I would buy a tele and if I would, it would still be the small and light weight 70-300 VR which I already have. Not a super expensive super fast and super heavy pro lens. I'd also throw in a couple of SB-900s in to that list with a decent manfrotto tripod and a ball head.

If I was on a budget; which I probably would be, I'd settle for a D90 and a 18-200 VR together with a SB-600 and a cheap $30 tripod from Walmart. That is more than enough for some serious hobbyist photography.

4 comments:

  1. D700 would be nice but too expensive :(

    I do not think I will even think about D3s at this stage..

    Whatever the gear you have taken a lovely collection of photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah; I can't think of a way to justify spending 2500$ on a D700 unless it pays me back somehow - which it doesn't.

    Besides; it's not as if I don't have better use for that money.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list but I am a Canon Guy! :)
    I own Olympus 510 with 14-42mm and 40-150(kit lenses) and a 25mm pancake. This four thirds camera is easier to carry around as it is small.
    I have a Canon D7 with EF 28-135mm IS USM EF (KIT) 50mm f/1.4 USM EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which I mostly use for my work. I usually setup this to do HD video interviews for a company I work for in San Francisco. My wish is to get 17-55mm f/2.8 for this rig.
    As KP said you have done great with gear you have! where I am still finding what are all these buttons are for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Magerata for the comment!

    I stared at D7.... there's something wrong in it... and then I realized; it's a 7D :D

    I've heard that they've shot an entire episode of House using 5D Mk 2s... When the first dSLRs with video recording came out, everyone went about saying it's just a marketing gimmick to get the point and shoot users to buy expensive dSLRs.. but now; everyone's going out and making great HD motion pictures with them so as to run the professional video camera industry down.

    The thing with micro four thirds for me is the same as their marketed advantage; they are too small and too lite!!! I like my camera to feel steady and sound mechanical :)

    ReplyDelete