Thursday, July 15, 2010

Photo per day progress

I just posted at http://365.photoweaver.net for the 46th consecutive day! I'd like to think that my photography has improved; but I know for a fact that now I'm more satisfied.

I no longer feel limited by the gear I have; I'm quite confident that 80% of the time I could make the photo I want with my existing gear. For the remaining 20% of the time; it's simply not worth it to invest thousands of dollars to capture those moments on digital storage.

I also feel that my 70-300 VR is quite obsolete in my camera bag. Its use probably fall in to that 20% of the times above so my success level with the current gear should be something like 80.5% and the limitations should be 19.5% or something. I only use it to take pictures of birds and; to make any decent picture with its light hunger, I need to shoot at ISO levels above 1000; which simply isn't fair by my old D80. I'm not going to buy a better body only to satisfy a single lens.

All that said; I've also come-up with a list of two things (he he) in a precise order by which I would benefit from having them.

1.) One more SB-600 Speed Light
2.) Nikon 105mm Micro (I would also settle for the 60mm Micro)

Now; I do have some cash which I've preserved for something of that sort; but the problem is, I don't have a friend coming down from the US to bring that for me..

Anyways; I would still kill to get myself a D3s or even a D700.. But I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on them yet. I simply don't need them.


Brushes Bread Parrot on a mission Cashew Slightly Different TimeZones Wild Flowers Sunlight thirst Fruits! Tom Cat

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on keeping your promise to yourself up. I too see a change in your photography as well.
    I also agree with you regarding the gear. I changed my rig when canon 7D came out. Before I got it I was planing on all sort of lenses and tricks I was going to do. But so far I have stayed with 17-55 f2.8 90% of the time. Occasionally switching 70-200 f4 and 50mm 1.4. I decided, before I spend any more money on gear, to master what I have. I also need a good flash. But this summer I am taking some classes so less time to travel. So it is going to be local shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    This past week I've shot exclusively with the 50mm prime - without even realizing that... I guess; have I only had the prime, that wouldn't have been so bad either...

    But the 18-200mm VR is, without doubt, a life changing lens ;)

    ReplyDelete