Saturday, September 17, 2005

Father's birthday

Today's my father's birthday. In rememberance we had taken the
responsibility of offering morning alms to the mahamevna meditation
monastery in kundasale, kandy. We prepared alms in the morning and
took them to the monastery at 6.30 in the morning.
For some reason, I didn't feel like going with them. So I stayed back
home. When ever I go to a temple or a monastery I don't feel that they
are as good as I expect them to be. Hence I get really disappointed.
Too bad for a person who's seriously considering to become a monk.
I'm planning to pay a visit to the Kanduboda monastery which in my
belief is one of the best in the country. Hope I won't be disappointed
there. The head meditation teacher there, ven. Madawala Upali thero,
seems to be a well disciplined and achieved monk. One of the other
monks I like is ven. Pathagama Sumanarathana thero. I'd like to
practice meditation under guidance from one of them or their
disciples.

--
Posted using my Nokia 6230i

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mahasen
    don't know whr you read this post any more but let me tell you any way,

    After seeing 33yrs (dat is less 3 yrs for my infancy - i'm 36yrs) of monks preaching, there is one and only one who is close, who has realised and who is not a parrot dictating a learning but revealing realisations of Dhamma - Dat is Ven Pathegama Sumanaratana thero

    If you listen to him alone, you may reveal much more than listening to 10,000 or more traditional monks

    ...most porbably you will not close realizing nature at all by listening to all of them

    the key that is lost in traditional Buddhism (at least the 1st part) is a huge misinterpertation of Dukkha - i.e. it is not the burdens or physical pain but simply the disturbance in mind - you jump this and it will never be the same and you know if another is on the path or not - dat's how you know for real - and we all have the hunch because underneathe we know the reality and he who talks of it arouses it

    i myself need to fiure out the 2nd part - structured way of jumping - which was found out by Buddha the greatest scientist of this era and (seems lost agian atleast in realisable communication)

    Of course there were other's in my life who were close enough but not monks and a rare thing to meet them now and ever !

    I have my differences when it comes to 'knowledge' with all of them Rev. PS as well as my teacher Late Ratnakara Sir, but when it comes to realisation, the gap narrows

    This is not to say bad about other monks but just to say you cant preach Dhamma that you do not realise - coining out of book is just knowledge and this whole thing is not about knowledge but getting our subconsiouns aware of reality.

    Nor is it about trying hard and become a concentration freak but about using the clear mind to make a canvas for the reality to be revealed.

    good luck !

    madhuramapalana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete